Tagatose, is it the sugar of the future? Absolutely!
Tagatose actually has a very low glycaemic index (<10). In concrete terms, that means it does not affect blood sugar levels.
That property also makes it UNNECESSARY to take account of the proportion of a product that is Tagatose when counting carbohydrates. In short, the gram-weight of Tagatose can simply be subtracted from the declared carbohydrate value in the nutritional table.
What are the other advantages of Tagatose?
- It is a natural product (the origin is lactose)
- Low calorie value (only 1.5 kcal per gram)
- It processes well in a lot of products. à You will find the finished products in the diet section at better supermarkets. You can recognize them by the blue Tagatose stamp (add an image of the Tagatose stamp)
- It has a 100% sugar flavour
- Suitable for cooking and baking
More and more, we are seeing the term 'low carb' appear on certain foodstuffs, on packaging, in advertising folders, in promotional brochures. Low carb is hot. But what exactly does this concept mean?...